Sunday, July 22, 2012

How to re-upholster a chair

Hi Peeps!

I wanted to give you a little peek into how I reupholstered these chairs:



It's like taking apart a puzzle and then putting it back together again.
So I documented the removal of all the fabric pieces, starting with the removal of the last piece that I could determine was put on the chair.

Removing the outside back:

Notice welting was placed before the outside back was attached last

A layer of burlap and batting was placed here prior to finish
and the front  inside back was pleated prior to stapling to accomodate the round finish

Removal of the outside back under the arms.
 I noted that the inside arm was upholstered before the outside. 

Finally I noted that the inside seat was really the first piece of fabric placed on this chair to start the upholstery process and stapled to the underside of the back of the chair

And before removing that last piece of fabric I photographed the pleated edges on the front

(gimp edge finished has been removed already)

The chair was in great condition with a muslin cover that I chose not to remove, but I added a layer of cotton to the seat.

My brother stripped the finish and created a distressed look on the wood.

Very Important:  Use the fabric pieces that have been removed as patterns for cutting the new fabric!

After cutting the seat fabric with several inches extra on each side, I laid it on the seat and using a Y cut as illustrated here,

I pulled and stapled the fabric into place:

Next came the inside arms which were stapled around the edges and sewn into the back of the chair to secure before I put the inside back in place

(edges next to the wood were trimmed off with a razor edge)

I made welting cord and sewed it to the inside back and after stapling the inside back in place, I used a curved needle and upholstery thread to attach it to the muslin portion of the chair

For the outside arm, I decided to use a cardboard strip to get a straight line.

I like the line it created:

The final steps including securing the welting on the outside back and then I hand stitched the back to the welting using the curved needle again.

Instead of gimp, I made a double welt cord using a double welt attachment on my sewing machine like this one:

(to learn how to make a double welt cord, click on the words highlighted above)

 Tacky Glue was used to secure it the perimeter of the chair.

Anywho, as you know, the chairs turned out well,

and after blogging about them last week, they are already



MaeBee Jewelry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MaeBee Jewelry said...

Amazing! So cool to see the process. I'll bet those beauties were hard to part with!

Bromeliad said...

Wow. You are talented. (I do think the pink velvet had a certain over the top charm.)

Lekalia Interiors said...

Thanks! I loved the pink too. :)

Y Mama said...

These look amazing!! Any favorite fabric places you could share? I need some good patterned (or solid with good texture) upholstery fabric.

Julie said...

Thank you for this great tutorial on reupholstering. I have a blog and do tuts once in a while and they are NOT EASY! Especially when your on a roll and need to find your camera! Great job!!

Da Shuai Guo said...

michael kors uk
true religion outlet,
snapback hats
chicago bulls jersey
kansas city chiefs jerseys
hermes belt
ugg boots clearance,ugg australia,uggs on sale,ugg slippers,uggs boots,uggs outlet,ugg boots,ugg,uggs
ray ban sunglasses
prada shoes
michael kors handbags
tory burch outlet
chanel handbags
insanity workout
arizona cardinals jerseys
pandora charms
san antonio spurs jerseys
lebron james shoes
kate spade outlet
chanel outlet
celine outlet online
cheap uggs,
michael kors outlet
new orleans saints jerseys
christian louboutin outlet
tory burch shoes
prada handbags
air max 2015

风骚达哥 said...

20151008 junda
Discount Ray Ban Polarized Sunglasses
Louis Vuitton Bags On Sale
oakley sunglasses,oakley vault,prescription sunglasses,polarized sunglasses,aviator sunglasses,spy sunglasses,oakleys,oakley canada,cheap oakley sunglasses,oakley frogskins,oakley holbrook,cheap sunglasses,wayfarer sunglasses,oakley standard issue,fake oakleys,oakley glasses,,oakley prescription glasses,oakley goggles,sunglasses for men,oakley gascan,oakley store,oakleys sunglasses
Michael Kors Outlet Handbags Factory Price
nike trainers
louis vuitton outlet
Louis Vuitton Outlet USA
Real Louis Vuitton Bags
Louis Vuitton Handbags Discount Off
Oakley Vault Outlet Store Online
canada goose outlet
michael kors handbags
tory burch outlet
coach factory outlet
Michael Kors Outlet Sale Clearance
michael kors handbags
Abercrombie And Fitch Kids Online
Louis Vuitton Handbags Factory Store
louis vuitton handbags
ugg boots
Lebron James Basketball Shoes Sale
New Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet
ugg boots clearance
canada goose outlet
timberland boots for women
Michael Kors Outlet Free Shipping
hermes birkin bag
nfl jerseys
ralph lauren uk
Gucci Outlet Online Sale

小 Gg said...

michael kors outlet online
roshe run women
futbol baratas
miami heat
cheap mlb jerseys
michael kors factory sale
cyber monday
chanel handbags
michael kors handbags
ugg outlet
michael kors,michael kors canada,michael kors handbags,michael kors outlet,michael kors outlet canada
michael kors handbags store
air jordan shoes
ysl outlet online
marc jacobs outlet
canada goose outlet
parajumpers sale
pandora charms
dallas cowboys
tory burch handbags

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Cheers!